The Royal Thai Armed Forces is the name of the military of Thailand. It has four main branches, the Royal Thai Army, Royal Thai Navy (includes the Royal Thai Marine Corps), Royal Thai Air Force, in addition to Paramilitary Forces. Royal Thai Armed Forces Day is January 18, to commemorate the victory of King Naresuan which is presumed to have occurred on this date in 1593. The constitution defines the main role of the Royale Armed Forces as being responsible for the defence of the country, the national interests and the institution of the constitutional monarchy. The total forces of the Royale Thai Armed Forces is about 330,000 soldiers, with 11,000 border and 50,000 provincial Police for the paramilitary forces.
The Land Forces of Thai Army is about 236,000 soldiers, to be reduced to 190,000 soldiers, and a reserve forces of 500,000 soldiers.
The general land forces structure of Royal Thai Army is 4 Army HQ compose by :
- the central army area with 4 infantry divisions, and 1 support division
- the North-East army with 3 infantry divisions, and 1 support division
- the Northern army, with one infantry division, one armoured division, and one support division
- the Southern army, with 2 infantry divisions, one support division
Other units :
- 2 Special Forces divisions
- 4 battalion rapid deployment forces