Syrian government forces launched offensive in Barzeh and Mezzeh suburb of Damascus 2307121

a
 

Conflict in the World - Syria

 
 
Monday, July 23, 2012, 09:07 AM
 
Syrian government forces launched offensive in Barzeh and Mezzeh suburb of Damascus.

Sustained assaults were launched on Sunday, July 22, 2012, against the north-eastern Damascus suburb of Barzeh, and against Mezzeh, in the west of the city. Some reports from activists said troops regained control of Mezzeh, killing about 20 people suspected of helping the rebels.

     
Sustained assaults were launched on Sunday, July 22, 2012, against the north-eastern Damascus suburb of Barzeh, and against Mezzeh, in the west of the city. Some reports from activists said troops regained control of Mezzeh, killing about 20 people suspected of helping the rebels.
BMP-1 and T-72 Tanks loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad are seen at
El-Mezzeh in Damascus July 22, 2012.
     
The offensive against Mezzeh involved more than 1,000 troops and allied gunmen, backed by armoured vehicles, tanks and bulldozers, according to residents and activists quoted by the Reuters news agency.

Government forces "executed" at least 20 men in the area, some activists told the agency by telephone.

The attack on Barzeh, in the north-east of Damascus, was carried out by the army's fourth division, commanded by the president's brother Maher, using tanks and armoured personnel carriers, the Syrian Observatory reported.

Earlier on Sunday, state media said that all "terrorists" - as the government calls the rebels - had been "cleansed" from Qabun, a district east of Barzeh. State television showed extensive destruction.

     

View 23 July 2012 Syrian combat map situation Damascus in a larger map
(Click on icons map to see more information)
 

This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.