CV90 IFV BAE Systems
Tracked Armored Infantry Fighting Vehicle - Sweden
The CV90 (Combat Vehicle 90) also called Stridsfordon 90 (Strf90) is a family of tracked armored vehicles developed by the Swedish companies BAE Systems Land Systems Hägglunds (formerly Alvis Hägglunds) of Örnsköldsvik and Saab Bofors Dynamics of Karlskoga. The tracked chassis of the CV90 was built by Land Systems Hägglunds, while the turret has been designed and developed by Saab Bofors. The complete CV90 was produced by BAE Systems Hägglunds. Development of the CV90 started in 1984 and, following trials with an unarmed automotive test chassis, five prototype vehicles and turrets were built for extensive trials under a wide range of operational and environmental conditions. The CV90 can be fitted with different types of turrets armed with 30, 35, or 40mm automatic cannons as well as 105 or 120mm cannons. Following trials, the Swedish Army placed its first contract for the Strf 9040, now called the CV9040, in March 1991, with the first production vehicle, a CV9040, handed over to the Swedish Army on 1 November 1993. The CV90 platform design has continuously evolved in steps from Mk0 to the current MkIV with advances in technology and in response to changing battlefield requirements. Currently, the CV90 is in service with Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Netherlands, Norway Sweden, and Switzerland under different configurations. On January 19, 2023, the Swedish Prime Minister announced the delivery of 50 CV90 IFVs (Infantry Fighting Vehicles) to Ukraine.
CV90 main variants:
- CV9030: turret armed with 30 mm Bushmaster II automatic cannon
- CV9035: Armed with a Bushmaster III 35/50 cannon
- CV90105: Light tank equipped with 105 mm rifled tank gun/turret.
- CV90120-T: Light tank equipped with a tank turret equipped with a smoothbore 120 mm gun.
- Armadillo: Armoured personnel carrier version built on a modular CV90 Mk III chassis.
- CV90 STING: Combat engineering variant built on CV90 Mk I chassis.
- CV90RWS Multi BK: Mortar carrier variant built on a CV90 Mk I chassis.
- CV 9035DK: Danish variant of the CV 9035. It is armed with an ATK 35/50-mm Bushmaster III cannon and a 7.62-mm machine gun.
- Luftvärnskanonvagn (lvkv) 9040: Anti-air vehicle, fitted with PS-95 radar from Thomson CSF Harfang (now Thales Group) and a high elevation 40 mm autocannon capable of using programmable ammunition.
- CV90 Mjolner: fitted with two 120 mm mortars
- Stridsledningspansarbandvagn (Stripbv) 90: Command post vehicle
- Eldledningspansarbandvagn (Epbv) 90: artillery observation vehicle
- Bärgningsbandvagn (Bgbv) 90: Armored recovery vehicle
- CV90 Mk IV: Upgraded version of CV90 with new turret, armament and protection
|Design and Protection|
|IFV Infantry Fighting Vehicle tracked armored||3 + 8 Infantrymen|
|Service Since||Company Producer|
|Weapons Traverse||Weapons Elevation|
|360°||110° to +45°|
|Length: 6.47 m ; Width: 3.19m ; Height: 2.5 m maximum||22,800 kg|
|Country producer||Countries user|
|Sweden||Denmark, Estonia, Finland Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine|
| || |
| || |
Pictures - Video