The step was approved on Friday (Mar. 25) by the Chief of Staff, Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz, following government approval. Minister of Defense, Ehud Barak, said, "The battery will be deployed in the South, being moved from time to time according to operational needs. The system can fire back if fired at but it's important to remember that the Dome is still not full proof."
Commander of the Home Front Command, Maj. Gen. Yair Golan, said last week that even the system cannot ensure full security. According to Maj. Gen. Golan, the most important thing is that citizens be prepared and protected by following the Home Front Command’s instructions.
“It’s important to keep in mind that the Iron Dome is only in its preliminary, testing stages such that citizens must continue following the Home Front Command’s instructions on how to stay protected. Continue taking these instructions very seriously as even debris can land in Israel,” said Maj. Gen. Golan.
The IDF stresses that the Dome will not be used consistently and will be moved around according what the situation necessitates.