Haiti on the way to reconstitute a military forces that was abolished in 1995 1709135

a

Defence & Security News - Haiti

 
 
Tuesday, September 17, 2013 09:37 AM
 
Haiti on the way to reconstitute a military forces that was abolished in 1995.
Haiti moved closer on Monday, September 16, 2013, to reconstituting a military that was abolished in 1995. In a small ceremony in the farming village of Petite Rivere de L'Aritibonite, Defense Minister Jean-Rodolphe Joazile greeted the first 41 recruits who recently returned from eight months of training in Ecuador.
     
Haiti moved closer on Monday, September 16, 2013, to reconstituting a military that was abolished in 1995. In a small ceremony in the farming village of Petite Rivere de L'Aritibonite, Defense Minister Jean-Rodolphe Joazile greeted the first 41 recruits who recently returned from eight months of training in Ecuador.
The first 41 recruits who recently returned from eight months of training in Ecuador to reconstituting the Haitian army, which was disbanded 18 years ago.

     

They will be the first members a national military force that the government of President Michel Martelly wants to revive.

Joazile said they will spend three months working alongside Ecuadorean military engineers among the rice fields in central Haiti to repair roads and work on other public service projects in their impoverished country, which was hit by a devastating earthquake three years ago.

"Haiti's needs are not in the infantry but in technical service," Joazile said in an earlier interview. "The country is in a state of reconstruction. We need mechanics."

Almost all of those in the new unit are recent high school graduates. They include 30 soldiers, 10 engineers and one officer and will report to the Defense Ministry. They won't carry weapons for now but could carry handguns, in three to four years, if either the recruits pay for the weapon themselves or the government receives financing to do so, Joazile said in an interview last week.

The military support from Ecuador is part of a broader effort to help Haiti to rebuild from the 2010 earthquake, Ecuadorean Maj. Marco Navas said. Navas said Ecuador has given more than $30 million to Haiti since the disaster to develop the country's infrastructure.

 

Cookies settings

×

Functional Cookies

This site uses cookies to ensure its proper functioning and cannot be deactivated from our systems. We don't use them not for advertising purposes. If these cookies are blocked, some parts of the site will not work.

Session

Please login to see yours activities!

Other cookies

This website uses a number of cookies to manage, for example: user sessions.